Picklists are set up in the “Database Name” textbox under Connections in the Connector Module
Let us assume that we have created a new connection called A_Company_Consolidation and have set up the connection details in the conventional way within the Connector Module. We now navigate to the “Database Name” text box in the Properties pane and replace the existing database details with the following:
“PICKLISTM=Select from List;MyCompanyA::DataA; MyCompanyB::DataB; MyCompanyC::DataC; MyCompanyD::DataD”
This will give us a picklist showing four company database connections. Let us look at each component functions and the variables associated with it:
- PICKLIST= Presents you with a list of all connections but only allows you to select ONE – This will obviously no do for our consolidation Management Pack exercise.
- PICKLISTA= Will automatically run ALL the connections listed in the picklist, thus no popup list to select from. This option is great for a consolidated Management Pack that consists of all the Companies in the list.
- PICKLISTM= Presents you with a list of all the connections and allows you the option of specifying which connections to run. Make your choice by checking one ore more of the check boxes next to your Company Names.
- PICKLISTDSN= Presents you with a list of all connections available DSN connections but only allows you to select ONE – This will obviously not do for our consolidation Management Pack exercise but is a very useful picklist parameter to remember.
- Select from List; – This is the text that will appear in the popup box and you can change it to whatever you like. Remember to always end with ”;” Only really useful when used with the straight PICKLIST= option, thus you can safely leave the comments out if you wish provided you still end in ; e.g. PICKLIST=; MyCompanyA::DataA; MyCompanyB::DataB;
- MyCompanyA::DataA; – Defines your various database connections.
- MyCompanyA:: – Is your descriptive name so anything goes – remember to end in ::
- DataA; – is the exact database name so it has to be exact – remember to end in ;
Please note: There is no ; after the last database entry in the list
You must remember to export the report from Report Manager and then import it under the PICKLIST connection. (Right-click on the connection and select Import report under the Connector)