Learn how to grant or restrict access to reports in the Sage Intelligence Report Viewer.
Did you know that you can grant or restrict access to reports in the Sage Intelligence Report Viewer? Sage Intelligence makes this easy to do. Perhaps you’re busy developing a new report and you don’t want users to be able to run it from the Viewer until you’re happy with it. In this tip, I’m going to show you how to do this.
The option to allow or prevent access is found under the advanced properties of a report in the Report Manger.
To get to it:
1. Open your Report Manager and select the report you want to work with.
2. Select the Show Advanced checkbox at the bottom of the Properties tab.
3. Look for the Allow Report Viewer and External Access option towards the bottom of the tab.
At this point, there are a few things to be aware of:
- If you’re designing a new report from scratch then by default this option is unchecked, and so Viewer access will not be provided. If you’re finished with your report and want to grant access, then select the option.
- If you’re basing your new report off an out-the-box (locked) report having made a copy of it, this option will be checked by default and so if you would like to restrict Viewer access, you’ll need to unselect it until you’re done.
- Following on from the above, this means that users will always have Viewer access to out-the-box reports, as changing the option on a locked report isn’t possible.
- Restricting access to a report hides it in the Viewer, and so users will not even be aware that it exists.
- If your Sage accounting package or business solution includes a Sage Intelligence reports menu, then the option is also used to show or hide reports there.